O! what Man will do fore a Rime!

Self-proclaimed bibliophile, culture nut and nerdfighter. English lit. and linguistics geek. Future career in publishing.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

Note: The review below was taken directly from my Goodreads account.

I was doing a Kubrick marathon (well, just Full Metal Jacket (the best), The Shining and A Clockwork Orange) the other day, and I realized that although I'd seen A Clockwork Orange a few times now, I'd never read it.

So I did.

I really enjoyed the different ending. It makes it a great tale about growing up and the recklessness of youth, rather than psychopathic teenagers. But both endings work equally well.

The best part of the book is its language. Burgess is amazing at incorporating the new slang he's created (nadsat) and, once you're about 5-10 pages in, you pick it up pretty easily. The only real beef I have with the language is that there is no explanation in the world-building as to why Slavic-based slang is being used. Did the Soviets win the Cold War? I don't get that part. Still, it feels very true to a teenager from Alex's background, even if the slang is a little heavy most of the time.

Inheritance