O! what Man will do fore a Rime!

Self-proclaimed bibliophile, culture nut and nerdfighter. English lit. and linguistics geek. Future career in publishing.

30-Day Book Challenge (Day 29-30)

Happy Halloween! I'm doing these two days a bit late, but whatever.

Day 29

A Book Everyone Hated But You Liked

Beatrice & Virgil

Yann Martel

Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel

Reasons: A lot of people didn't like this book, especially since it was a bit of a letdown after Life of Pi. Yeah, I didn't think it was as good either, but I really liked it for some reason. I don't know why exactly;

probably a mix of me finding secret Nazi taxidermists and plays alluding to the Holocaust as interesting

(show spoiler)

. Maybe I need to re-read it to see if I still like it? Sometimes opinions change.

Day 30

Your Favourite Book of All Time

Never Let Me Go

Kazuo Ishiguro

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Reasons: I really hate these kinds of categories. I might have read a book that I thought was my favourite of all time when I read it, but then I haven't picked it up again in six years (I often don't re-read books because I can always remember their plots generally very well and don't feel that I need to re-read them). Does that really count? I picked this book based on my memories of reading it and how much I enjoyed it. I still think it's an amazing book even though I haven't read it since the very first time, about four years ago. It also has one of my favourite covers; it's so beautiful! Other contenders were: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plat, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Battle Royale by Takami Koushun, The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien, The Jade Peony by Wayson Choy, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, White Teeth by Zadie Smith, and a whole bunch more. (See what I mean about this category?)

Inheritance