O! what Man will do fore a Rime!

Self-proclaimed bibliophile, culture nut and nerdfighter. English lit. and linguistics geek. Future career in publishing.

30-Day Book Challenge (Day 11-12)

Day 11

A Book You Hated

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

Elizabeth Gilbert

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Reasons: I didn't want to use the obvious Twilight or City of Bones (because I can't decide which I hate more), but this book definitely stands out as a book that I detest. It's so sad because I love the cover, I love the idea of going on a multi-country trip to search for meaning in life and I think that Gilbert can actually be fairly witty when she tries. Unfortunately, for most of the book she was whiny, describing her terrible marriage and painful divorce (which was excruciating to read about, partly because I didn't care and partly because it was so upper-middle-class I wanted to vomit), crying into her hands about how sucky her life was and just all-around being a terrible human being. It didn't help that she was all about the "white saviour" thing and how much better in tune with herself she thought she was because she did yoga in India. Whoop-dee-fucking-do!

Day 12

A Book You Love But Hate at the Same Time

The Red Queen

Margaret Drabble

The Red Queen by Margaret Drabble

Reasons: The first half of this book is so great when we're in Joseon (or Chosun, depending on how old you are, I guess) with King Yeongjo and bananas Crown Prince Sado and his wife Hyegyeong. And we get to see through Lady Hyegyeong's eyes as the Crown Prince succumbs to his mental illness and the really tragic ending to his story. Not to mention this book jump-started my interest in the Joseon period (and I do own the Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong, I just haven't read them yet. Eep) and showed an interesting part of the Korean peninsula's history. But, holy shit, the second half of this book is the worst: it's dry, uninteresting and really doesn't tie well with the first half. They are complete opposites and it's a total shame. I will forever love the first half, though.

Inheritance