O! what Man will do fore a Rime!

Self-proclaimed bibliophile, culture nut and nerdfighter. English lit. and linguistics geek. Future career in publishing.

30-Day Book Challenge (Day 06-10)

Bit of a catch up going on, but I've had two midterms so far this week and still have two essays due in the next couple of days.

Day 06

A Book that Makes You Sad

Pieces of You

Tablo

Pieces of You by Tablo (English vers)

Reasons: This book is actually a collection of short stories, but each one kind of deals with the reality of growing up in an Asian household: forced to play the piano (or the violin), parents who think it's acceptable to hit their children and should be encouraged, experiencing racism as a minority, etc. While these stories may seem stereotypical, many people have lived through them and continue to. Tablo gives each story a resonant and heartbreaking revelation (for the most part). A bit hard to find since I had to order mine from Korea. Started from Tablo's creative writing Masters at Stanford, translated from English into Korean; however, I got the English edition (my knowledge of hangul means I can read the Korean, but my vocab and grammar is poor, so I can't understand it well). And if you have 7 minutes to spare: the Epik High (of which Tablo belongs) song of the same name (당신의 조각들; Pieces of You). That song makes me tear up like a big ol' baby. (Plus, that instrumental!)

Day 07

A Book that Makes You Laugh

A Year in the Merde

Stephen Clarke

A Year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke

Reasons: I only read it once, but I remember giggling throughout the whole thing. Clearly in 2005 I found British expats in France amusing, especially when it's about joking stereotypes but also the love of the country because, let's be honest, it's pretty great.

Day 08

Most Overrated Book

Endgame

Samuel Beckett

Endgame by Samuel Beckett

Reasons: I didn't find it as funny as everyone says, nor did I think it was super well-written. I know a lot of people think Beckett is hands-down the best playwright to come out of the Modernists, but I don't really dig Theatre of the Absurd or that much nihilism/existentialism -- or at least the way he presents it.

Day 09

A Book You Thought You Wouldn't Like But Ended Up Loving

The Last Oracle

James Rollins

The Last Oracle by James Rollins

Reasons: I got it as a birthday gift from a friend and I honestly didn't think I would like it as much as I did, especially since I don't really like it when people buy me books unless I specify exactly what I want. It was the newest book in the series, which I'd never read (and still haven't, whoops!), but it had a great mystery, likeable characters and writing that pulled me in despite being very pulpy. I wouldn't really say I loved it though, but I can't come up with another book that fits this criterion.

Day 10

A Book that Reminds You of Home

The Jade Peony

Wayson Choy

The Jade Peony by Wayson Choy

(Sorry about the small image size! Blame Google Images' lack of cover images and Wikipedia's stupidly small dimensions.)

Reasons: Three Chinese-Canadian kids growing up in Vancouver (albeit in the '30s and '40s)? How could this not remind me of home and family?

Inheritance