O! what Man will do fore a Rime!

Self-proclaimed bibliophile, culture nut and nerdfighter. English lit. and linguistics geek. Future career in publishing.

Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks by Ken Jennings

Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks - Ken Jennings

Why pay for a map that's wrong? Some of it is sheer novelty value: a map where California is floating in the middle of the Pacific makes a great conversation piece in an L.A. living room. But it's also a charming memento of human ignorance and imperfection. It reminds us that maps are never completely reliable, should never be mistaken for the actual territory.

- Excerpt from "Elevation" (chapter 5)

p. 83-84

Note: The review below was taken directly from my Goodreads account.

Maphead is about Ken Jennings's love and foray into geography and its many fans: geocachers, Google Maps employees, National Geographic bee nerds, map lovers and more.

Before reading this book, I didn't realize there was so much happening in the nerdy side of geography. I don't necessarily consider myself a geo nerd, but when I was taking geography it was a little hard not to be excited about climate, topography and nunataks. I didn't know that people were as excited about GPS becoming more accurate and planning imaginary road trips. That's actually really awesome.

Fun and interesting book. Jennings has a great wit about him and loves to impart you with little facts here and there outside the bigger picture of the chapter.

Go geography geeks!