O! what Man will do fore a Rime!

Self-proclaimed bibliophile, culture nut and nerdfighter. English lit. and linguistics geek. Future career in publishing.

L'étranger by Albert Camus

L'Etranger (Broché) - Albert Camus

Note: The review below was taken directly from my Goodreads account.

Qu'importait si, accusé de meurtre, il était exécuté pour n'avoir pas pleuré à l'enterrement de sa mère?

The majority of the literary world knows what L'étranger is about. And, damn, I didn't think it would be as sad as it turned out to be. Camus really knows how to write: it's concise, not overly descriptive, but still packs a punch.

The best part about this book is, honestly, the title. In French, the word l'étranger can mean "the stranger" (the most common translation for the book's title), "the foreigner", as an adjective it can mean "alien" and "uninvolved, unconcerned". I feel that translating the title into English makes it lose the nuance that the original title has. Meursault is unconcerned and uninvolved with his own feelings and the world around him. He is a French foreigner in Algeria. Emotions are alien to him. He is a stranger to the people who know him and he has an altercation with a stranger. Camus is one clever bastard.

I'm planning to read this in English, too.

Inheritance