O! what Man will do fore a Rime!

Self-proclaimed bibliophile, culture nut and nerdfighter. English lit. and linguistics geek. Future career in publishing.

As You Like It by William Shakespeare

As You Like It (Modern Library Classics) - Jonathan Bate, Eric Rasmussen, William Shakespeare

Love is merely a madness, and, I tell you, deserves as well a dark house and a whip as madmen do: and the reason why they are not so punished and cured is that the lunacy is so ordinary that the whippers are in love too.

- Rosalind

As You Like It

3.2, ll. 362-365

Note: The review below was taken directly from my Goodreads account.

As You Like It is a comedy by Shakespeare, so that means we have some couples who can't get married because of reasons but everything ends up a-okay in the end.

I like the pastoral focus of this play. The majority of the play is set in the forest of Arden and there is a reverence for nature that I quite enjoy. There is also a dash of Shakespeare's favourite comedic trope: cross-dressing. Which still ends up humorous despite the predictability of it. Not my favourite comedy, but still very enjoyable.

This play contains the famous "All the world's a stage" speech, which comes from one of the funniest characters in the play: Jacques, the super melancholic.

Inheritance