O! what Man will do fore a Rime!

Self-proclaimed bibliophile, culture nut and nerdfighter. English lit. and linguistics geek. Future career in publishing.

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey #1) - Arthur C. Clarke

Note: This review was taken directly from my Goodreads account.

I know I shouldn't compare 2001: A Space Odyssey to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, but since I recently read both, I can't help it. I'm sorry, but 2001 was just so much better. Especially in terms of story-telling and prose.

Fans of the film (like myself) may be surprised how true to the book the movie is (the end note to this edition is about how Clarke wrote the book concurrently with the movie, which I didn't know but the Wikipedia article states). The book, while expertly descriptive and wonderfully written, doesn't have the same impact on the senses as the visuals in Kubrick's film. Because, let's be honest, that movie is visually stunning, especially during the Jupiter Mission part.

If you like the movie, you'll like this. But if you like the movie for superficial reasons like pretty cinematography, you will like this but not as much. Clarke has fantastic descriptions, but they really don't hold up to Kubrick's cinematography.

Still not down with the space fetus though.

(show spoiler)

I'm interested to see where the rest of the series will go, so I'll be reading the next three books.

Inheritance